The Swanky Monkey

My life, My hobby

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A gift for baby Asher

When I started learning to crochet and knit, a new baby season was about to begin in my circle of friends and family. My boyfriends sister had a baby girl, my brother and his wife had their second baby girl, and now my sister-in-laws' sister just had a baby boy (today!). Since my bf's sister had her baby at the start of my new adventure I was never able to make her something that would have been  wearable/usable. For my newest niece, Zoe, I knit my first (and only) basketweave blanket. But this has been my first wearable/fitting gift yet!! I've had many attempts at the hat and shoes with my niece and I think I have finally figure out the art of the newborn hat and shoes! ;)

For the hat, and matching two pairs of shoes (lt brown pair and dk brown pair) I used Lily Sugar'n Cream in Jute and Warm Brown, respectively. For the Loafers I used Caron Simply Soft in white, and bone as the contrast color.

Sole
 Ch 5 (7, 9, 9).
Foundation Row: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and each ch across - 4 (6, 8, 8) sc.
Next 5 (6, 7, 9) Rows: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc across.
Next Row: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first sc, sc in each sc to last sc, 2 sc in last sc - 6 (8, 10, 10) sc.
Next 4 (7, 10, 12) Rows: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc across.
Place marker in last st worked. Move marker up as work progresses.
Sides:
Rnd 1: Do not turn, work 10 (14, 18, 22) sc evenly spaced down side of sole; work 4 (6, 8, 8) sc along opposite side of foundation ch (this is the heel); work 10 (14, 18, 22) sc evenly spaced along other side of sole; work 6 (8, 10, 10) sc across to marker - 30 (42, 54, 62) sc.
Next 2 (3, 4, 5) Rnds: Working in front loops only, sc in each sc around.
Top of Foot
Note: When working top of foot, do not ch 1 at the beginning of rows.
Row 1: Sc in next 1 (1, 2, 2) sc, sl st in next sc, turn, sk sl st, working in front loops only, sc in next 6 (8, 10, 10) sc; working in both loops, sl st in next 2 sc; leave remaining sts unworked.
Next 4 (8, 12, 14) Rows: Turn, sk first 2 sl sts, working in front loops only, sc in next 6 (8, 10, 10) sc across top of foot; working in both loops, sl st in next 2 sc along side of Bootie.
Next Row: Turn, sk first 2 sl sts, working in front loops only, sc in next 6 (8, 10, 10) sc across top of foot; working in both loops, sl st in next sc along side of Bootie.
Cuff
Rnd 1: Turn, sk first sl st, working through both loops, sc in each sc around entire Bootie opening; do not join - 18 (22, 26, 30) sc.
Note: If you would like cuff to be a little tighter, when working Rnd 2, work 3 decreases evenly spaced around as follows: draw up a loop in each of next 2 sts, yarnover and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
Rnd 2: Sc in each sc around.
Rep last rnd until cuff measures 1 1/2 (2, 3, 4) in. (4 (5, 7.5, 10) cm). Fasten off. Weave in ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment